Wild Rice with Sweet Italian Sausage, Mushrooms & Radicchio
The nuttiness of the rice plays wonderfully with the savory sausage and slightly bitter radicchio in this autumn-inspired side dish. It also makes a fantastic stuffing for roasted acorn squash.
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- 8 ounces wild rice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Wild Fennel Pollen
- 2 links Sweet Italian Pork Sausage
- 1 1/2 cups radicchio, shredded
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Salt & pepper, to taste
Rinse rice under cold water and drain. Place rinsed rice in a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover by _-inch. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover tightly and cook 25-30 minutes. Check liquid halfway through cooking: If grains are starting to look dry, add a couple more tablespoons of water. The rice should be fluffy and all of the liquid should be absorbed.
While rice is cooking, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, shallots and garlic and sauté until the mushrooms start to brown and the shallots soften, about 4-5 minutes. Add sausage, thyme, fennel pollen and radicchio, continue to cook until sausage is cooked through. Add wine and cook for 3-5 minutes until liquid has reduced by half.
Remove from heat and toss with cooked rice and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature.