Farro, Fennel & Orange Salad (Farro con Finocchio e Arancia)
This vibrant salad gets a double dose of fennel flavor from freshly shaved fennel and aromatic wild fennel pollen (a.k.a. our favorite secret flavor enhancer). The bright notes of anise pair beautifully with sweet orange segments and bright mint. Serve alongside roasted chicken, grilled shrimp or seared salmon.
Recipe by Asha Loupy
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup Farro from Rustichella d'Abruzzo
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, such as Olio Verde
- 1 tablespoon Agrumato Tangerine Oil from Medi Terranea
- 1 tablespoon Italian red wine vinegar, such as Volpaia Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Wild Fennel Pollen, plus more for garnishing
- 1/4 teaspoon Hot Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 cup fennel, thinly sliced
- 2 medium oranges, peeled and segmented
- 1/8 cup red onion, finely diced
- 6 mint leaves, chiffonaded
- Fennel fronds, for garnish
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 325°F. In a small bowl, toss farro with one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and spread evenly onto a baking sheet. Toast farro until it starts to turn golden, about 10 – 15 minutes.
While the farro is toasting, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium heat. Add the toasted farro and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well, spread on a sheet pan and let cool to room temperature.
In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, tangerine agrumato oil, red wine vinegar, hot pepper flakes and fennel pollen. Add the cooked farro, fennel, half the orange segments, red onion and mint, and gently toss together. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
To serve, pour the farro salad onto a serving platter and garnish with the remaining orange segments, fennel fronds and an extra sprinkling of fennel pollen.