Caprese Pasta Salad
Sweet cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, peppery arugula and a vibrant basil dressing come together in this simple pasta salad inspired by the traditional Italian Caprese salad.
Cook's Note: It's important to liberally salt your pasta cooking water as this is the only chance to season the pasta itself. How much salt is enough? As our good friend and resident Italian, Rolando Beramendi, says "the water should taste like the sea."
Recipe by Asha Loupy
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- 8 ounces Rustichella d'Abruzzo short cut pasta, such as Torchio or Le Virtù
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Calivirgin Basil Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella bocconcini, quartered
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, torn into bite-sized pieces
- Salt & pepper
Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente and drain well. Transfer the pasta to large serving bowl, toss pasta with the olive oil (so the pasta doesn't stick together) and let cool to room temperature.
In a small bowl, whisk the basil oil and lemon juice together. To assemble the pasta salad, add the halved tomatoes, bocconcini, arugula, basil leaves and basil dressing to the pasta. Toss to combine and season with salt and pepper. Serve cold or at room temperature.