Stone Fruit & Chicory Slaw with Ginger Vinaigrette
This salad is a true ode to summer, combining sweet, juicy peak season stone fruit with crunchy cabbage and sharp, slightly-bitter Treviso. Sandy Sonnenfelt—former Director of Prepared Foods at Market Hall Foods—used apriums and pluots when developing this recipe, but any mix of stone fruit will work wonderfully here (think: plums, apricots, nectarines and even pitted cherries). Serve with grilled steak, chicken or salmon.
Cook’s note: White wine or Champagne vinegar with 2 teaspoons of honey (or more to taste) may be used as a substitute. Sandy uses the Katz Late Harvest Viognier Honey Vinegar as “it is a wonderful vinegar and I love the juxtaposition of tart and sweet”.
Recipe by Sandy Sonnenfelt. Food styling and photography by Marshka Kiera.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 teaspoons shallot, finely minced
- 1/4 cup Katz Late Harvest Viognier Vinegar (see note)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely chopped or grated
- 1/4 teaspoon Marash chili
- 1/4 cup medium-intensity extra virgin olive oil, like PRMRY ENHANCE Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 heads Treviso, or other chicory, like radicchio or Castelfranco, cut in half lengthwise and shredded (about 2 1/2–3 cups)
- 1/4 head Napa cabbage, shredded (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, cut lengthwise into thin ribbons
- 14–15 ounces stone fruit, like plums, pluots, apriums or nectarines, sliced
To make the vinaigrette, combine the shallots, vinegar and salt in a large bowl and allow to macerate for at least 20 minutes. Add the ginger, Marash chili and black pepper. Slowly whisk in the extra virgin olive oil in a slow steady stream until combined (don’t worry if the dressing doesn’t emulsify completely).
To assemble the salad, add the shredded Treviso, cabbage, green onions, cilantro and mint to the bowl and toss to coat in the dressing. Add the sliced stone fruit and gently toss to combine. Transfer to a serving platter and enjoy!