Spicy Baked Eggs
Win the fight against boring brunch with our take on baked eggs. This quick and easy dish gets a dose of heat from Moroccan harissa and a subtle smokiness from Spanish Pimenton de la Vera. The best part, you'll be out of the kitchen in under 30 minutes, so you'll have more time to kick back and relax with your guests.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
Serves 2 – 4
- 1/4 cup mild extra virgin olive oil, such as Sèka Hills
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups Italian Tomato Purée (Passata di Pomodoro)
- 1 tablespoon Moroccan Harissa from Villa Jerada
- 1 teaspoon Las Hermanas Pimentón de La Vera DOP
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 425°F
Heat olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until soft and translucent, 3 - 4 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, harissa, pimenton, salt and a 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat to medium low and let cook uncovered for about 10 minutes.
Remove the sauce from the heat and make 4 wells in the sauce. Gently break one egg into each well. Season eggs with a sprinkling of salt and bake for 8-10 minutes until the egg whites are set, but the yolks are still runny. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately. Make sure you have lots of crusty bread for dipping!