Black Rice with Shrimp & Herb Vinaigrette
This is a stunningly beautiful dish — plump, pink shrimp and jet-black rice with flecks of green and orange. You'll want to take a picture (send us one if you do!), but there won't be much time before your guests devour it all.
- 1 1/2 cups Venere Black Rice
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 6 ounces of shrimp, cleaned and deveined (if using larger shrimp, chop into bite-size pieces)
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Volpaia White Wine Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Salt & pepper
In a large pot, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Season with salt and pour in the rice. Boil for 30-40 minutes or until the rice is completely tender. Drain and set aside, keeping warm.
While the rice is cooking, in a saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the carrot and celery, season with salt and pepper, and saute for 5 - 8 minutes, or until tender. Add the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Add the wine and scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pan.
In a bowl, whisk together the extra virgin olive oil with the vinegar, herbs and salt and pepper, to taste. Add the shrimp mixture and the rice to the bowl. Stir to combine and check for seasoning.