The hardest part of this 6-ingredient starter is waiting for the sardines to marinate. Plump, succulent jarred sardines are marinated in a flavor-packed mixture of Spanish white wine vinegar, lemon juice garlic, dijon mustard and extra virgin olive oil. Arrange the tinned sardines on a plate, drizzle with the marinade and refrigerate for an hour to let the flavors marry. Serve alongside slices of grilled bread and a leafy salad for a simple meal—and don't forget a glass of two of crisp Spanish white wine!
Recipe, food styling and photography by Asha Loupy
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 tablespoon Moscatell White Wine Vinegar from Espelt Viticultors
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard from KL Keller Foodways
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons Spanish extra virgin olive oil, like As Pontis
- One 6.7-ounce jar Sardines from Conservas Ortiz, lightly drained
- Crusty bread, grilled or toasted, for serving (optional)
In a medium bowl, whisk together the white wine vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, garlic and salt. Slowly stream in the extra virgin olive oil, while continuing to whisk, until all the oil is added and the mixture is emulsfied.
Pour half of the marinade onto a plate or rimmed dish, arrange the sardines in a single layer on top and cover with the remaining marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 45 minutes, up to four hours. Remove the sardines 10 minutes before serving to take the chill off them. Serve with crusty bread.