Alison Roman's Creamy Sesame Turmeric Dip
In celebration of the release of Alison Roman's Nothing Fancy (and her Rockridge Market Hall book signing, on November 3, 2019), we've been having a blast making a number of her new recipes. This simple yet gorgeous sesame and turmeric dip is one of our new favorites and we're sharing it with customers, friends and family. It is one of Alison's "house snacks" and has instantly become one of ours too.
Reprinted from Nothing Fancy. Copyright © 2019 by Alison Roman. Photographs copyright © 2019 by Michael Graydon and Nikole Herriott. Published by Clarkson Potter, an imprint of Penguin Random House, LLC.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
Makes about 2 cups
- 8 ounces cream cheese or ricotta, preferably room temperature
- 3/4 cup sour cream or labne
- 1/4 cup tahini, like Soom Sesame Premium Tahini
- 2 tablespoons water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, like Séka Hills Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric, like Single-Origin Pragati Turmeric from Diaspora Co
- Flaky sea salt
Combine the cream cheese, sour cream, tahini and water in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until well blended and creamy (alternatively, use a fork or spoon; there might just be a few lumps, which is actually fine). Season with salt and pepper.
Heat the olive oil and sesame seeds in a small skillet or pot over medium heat. Cook, swirling occasionally, until the sesame seeds are toasted and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the turmeric and remove from heat.
Transfer the cream cheese mixture to a cute serving bowl and top with the sesame-turmeric oil. Finish with flaky salt and more pepper before serving.