Chickpea "Egg" Salad Tartines
These picnic-ready sandwiches will be a hit with vegans, vegetarians and omnivores alike. Chopped chickpeas mimic the egg while vegan mustard seed aioli gives the salad a kick of bright wasabi-like heat and silky, unctuous texture. The topping choices are endless from thinly sliced radishes and avocado to spice mixes like Dukkah and Shichimi Togarashi . . . use whatever odds'n ends you have on hand!
Recipe by Asha Loupy
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- One 17-ounce can chickpeas (or about 2 cups of cooked chickpeas)
- 3–4 tablespoons Vegan Mustard Seed Oil Aioli
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 small stalk celery, finely diced (about a 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 small shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground Black Tellicherry Peppercorns, to taste
- 4 thick slices hearty bread, like levain, toasted
Pulse the drained chickpeas in a food processor until they are roughly chopped, about 3–5 pulses. Transfer them into a medium bowl and add the vegan mustard seed aioli, lemon juice, lemon zest, chopped celery, shallots, parsley and chives, and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately, or chill until ready to serve.
To assemble the tartines, spread the chickpea "egg" salad on the slices of toasted bread and garnish with desired toppings.