Crispy Chicken Thighs with Fattoush Salad & Zahtar
Fattoush salad—a classic Middle-Eastern dish similar to Italian panzanella—is typically made with day-old pita bread and whatever summer vegetables you have on hand. Our version pairs sun-sweet tomatoes, crisp cucumbers, peppery radishes, bright herbs and zahtar-dusted pita chips in one vibrant salad. We love it piled atop crispy pan-roasted chicken thighs for a quick, yet flavorful meal that comes together in less than an hour.
Recipe by Asha Loupy
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 cups pita bread, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus one tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon Zahtar Spice Mix, plus more for serving
- 2 - 3 heirloom tomatoes, diced (about 1 1/2 - 2 cups)
- 2 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 4 - 5 radishes, thinly sliced
- Large handful of parsley leaves
- Handful of fresh mint leaves, torn
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground Black Tellicherry Peppercorns
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, pounded to about 1/2-inch thickness
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
For the fattoush salad, make the zahtar pita chips: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spread the pita bread out on a baking sheet in a single layer. Drizzle the pita with one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and sprinkly evenly with the zahtar spice mix. Bake until golden brown, about 8 – 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining quarter cup of olive oil, lemon juice and lemon zest. Add the tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes and herbs and set aside.
For the crispy chicken thighs, mix together the flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Lightly flour each chicken thigh, shaking off any excess.
In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat. Add two of the pounded chicken thighs and cook until cooked through and golden brown on both sides, about 5 – 6 minutes per side. Transfer the cooked chicken thighs to a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken thighs.
To finish the fattoush salad, add the pita chips to your reserved vegetables and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
To serve, arrange the crispy chicken thighs on a serving platter, or individual plates, and top with the fattoush salad. Garnish with an extra sprinkle of zahtar and enjoy!